How do you get better at communicating with friends? Relationships are a tough business. So many people find themselves at odds with their best friends. It’s common for relationships to be less than fun, and even friendships can be a challenge for the right person to manage. Here are 7 quick tips to improve your relationships with friends:
7 Tips to Improve Relationships With Your Friends
1) Don’t jump in too fast – The old adage that you should take what you can get doesn’t apply in relationships. Although you’re trying to impress someone, you don’t want to lose all your friends along the way. So, if you’re trying to plan a dinner or a movie date, take things slowly. Don’t expect instant results, and keep communication at a low-slung level.
2) Listen – You can’t just agree with your friends when they criticize you. You need to listen carefully, and let them have their feelings, too. Sometimes you’ll need to agree with them wholeheartedly, and sometimes you just need to disagree. In any case, if you don’t agree with them completely, it means you’re not completely onside with him/her on the issue.
3) Be careful what you say about your friends – Relationships can become complicated when one or both partners start saying negative things about each other. If you’re trying to work on a relationship, avoid saying anything bad about your friends. Instead, concentrate your conversations on the topic at hand, and explain why you feel that way. Avoid saying how to mean you are to your friends, either. Just be sure to express appreciation for good behavior.
4) Do your homework – When you meet someone for the first time, you should do some research about him/her, before you talk to them. This is where relationship advice from someone who knows you well come in handy. If you don’t know your friends, at least ask them for advice on who to talk to. You might get some good relationship advice that will be helpful in improving your friendship. Just don’t give away all your secrets!
5) Learn how to be supportive of your friends – Don’t think of them as your enemies. People can treat you badly, and you shouldn’t act as if they do. However, if you have a tendency to jealousy because you feel your friends are having more than their share, this is a problem that needs relationship advice from someone who understands you better. Jealousy can lead to depression and a feeling of resentment toward your friends, so learn to deal with it properly.
6) Take some time for yourself – The most important thing you can do to improve your relationships with your friends is to take time to be with them. You’ll find that when you’re with your friends, you’ll be much happier and healthier, and your relationships will be healthier too. Try spending some time away from your friends by doing something like going for a walk, or taking a long bubble bath together. It will make a difference to your mood.
7) Don’t let your friends’ success affect your life – It’s easy to become jealous of others in your life if you always feel like you need to follow them. However, if you don’t treat your friends with respect, they may think less of you and try to steal the spotlight from you. You need to respect your friends, but you also need to make sure you’re treating them with respect yourself. If you keep this principle in mind, you’ll find that improving your relationship with your friends is actually quite simple. If you keep these tips in mind, you’ll soon find that your relationships are getting better.